02 January 2008

why not red heel monkeys?

a few people have expressed alarm when i show them my monkeys. it seems that the general consensus is that if it is a sock monkey it should be a red heel sock monkey. hmmm, to a large degree i understand the thought process but i just do not agree. red heel monkeys are fabulous and iconic, however my monkeys represent originality, individuality and creativity. i do hope to one day adopt a red heel sock monkey, however i find that often the breed is watered down, in poor shape and lacks true craftsmanship.

above & below: traditional red heel sock monkeys, as far as the breed goes i think that these two are fine examples of what they should look like.





(red heel photos from: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mitty77/)

2 comments:

jlmack said...

This monkey, wearing a fez, also does not freak me out. I would like to become friends with him, and maybe make some bananananana bread for us to share.

Celestial Freak said...

I love the traditional monkey too, but there is something fun and creative about crazy sock monkey's made with different patterned socks. I've been playing around with making sock monkeys and sock bunnies, I should be posting them to my Etsy shop soon!